This week, Aguttes will once again be based at the Porte de Versailles for the Rétromobile show, an unmissable event marking the start of the motoring season. Aguttes on Wheels’ full team will welcome you throughout the week on its stand P 033 in Hall 1, where a carefully chosen but very varied selection of five classic cars will be on display.
1962 – Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ Coda Tronca #00197
The car Alfa Romeo wanted at the beginning of the 1950s, the first version of the Giulietta was presented in 1954 at the Turin Show. Building on the little Alfa’s sales success, several versions of the model were developed and it enjoyed considerable success in competition, thanks in particular to the agreement between the Italian car maker and the coachbuilder Zagato, which led to the development of a version with more aerodynamic styling and a lightweight aluminium body. And so the Giulietta SZ (Sport Zagato) came about, of which scarcely more than 200 cars were built in all. This limited-series model was also produced in SZ Coda Tronca form, a version also known as the SZ2, of which only 30 were built. It is one of these which will be displayed on the Aguttes on Wheels stand: chassis number 00197, which has an unbroken and prestigious history since 1962.
This Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ Coda Tronca made its competition debut in the 1000 Kilometres of Paris, driven by Giampiero Biscaldi and Romolo Rossi and entered by the Scuderia Sant’Ambroeus. For its first race, it finished 16th overall and 4th in its class. It then took part in the 1963 Le Mans 24 Hours race, again with the Scuderia Sant’Ambroeus, but was disqualified after an engine oil refilling stop too early in the race. In 1964, now owned by Girolamo Capra, it came home 21st in the Targa Florio. Also a member of the Scuderia Sant’Ambroeus, Capra competed the same year in the Nürburgring 1000 Km race, the Mugello GT Grand Prix and the Italian hillclimb championship. For its fourth season in competition, the Giulietta was entered in the final round of the world endurance championship and achieved an excellent 6th place overall in the 1965 1000 Kilometres of Monza. At the end of the season, it was sold to Danilo Parnetti, who took part in the Italian hillclimb championship in 1966.
When its sporting career was over, the SZ Coda Tronca entered the collection of the Japanese enthusiast Yoshi Hayashi at the beginning of the 1980s, before crossing the Pacific some twenty years later to join Bruce Bradburn’s collection and then moving on to Peter Hageman, who entered it at Pebble Beach in 2008. Displayed at Rétromobile in 2010, it remained in France and returned to competition that same year, when it took part in a round of the highly exclusive Trofeo Nastro Rosso (Peter Auto) at the Circuit Paul Ricard. A few months later, it returned to the Sarthe for the fifth edition of Le Mans Classic, with the racing number 58. Keen to continue its career in historic motorsport, its new owner had the car completely restored by Alfaholics and it returned to competition in 2014, when it took part in the Tour Auto and then Le Mans Classic. In 2017, it was acquired by the late Jean Brandenburg, a well-known and much respected amateur racer in historic motorsport. Prepared in Yvan Mahé’s workshops, the Giulietta went on to race three times in 2018 with its new owner, at Spa, at Le Mans Classic once again, and finally on the Rallye des Légendes Richard Mille. The centrepiece of Jean Brandenburg’s collection, the car will be sold at auction in Paris on 15 March.
1949 – Delahaye 135 M “Gascogne” Coach by Dubos #801444
Elegant and streamlined, the Delahaye 135 M “Gascogne” coach was styled by the French designer Philippe Charbonneaux. It was therefore only natural that he should purchase this 1949 model from Jean-Michel Choplin, from La Ferté-Bernard, on 7 May 1980. Acquired in pristine condition and excellent running order, it joined his collection at Saint-Dizier in the Haute-Marne department and then, a few years later, his museum at Reims from 1985 to 2016.
Finished in black with burgundy leather upholstery, the car has never been restored and remains today in exceptional original condition. Registered from 31 December 1969 in the Haute-Marne as 303 BR 31, then as 1946 RA 72, when it was transferred into the name of Jeannine Choplin, it was finally registered by the designer’s son, Hervé Charbonneaux, in his name at the address of the museum in Reims on 2 September 1985. He took part with it in the Rallye Delahaye and the Rallye du Mont-Blanc, and it was then driven occasionally before taking up its place in the museum.
Although the car was recently recommissioned mechanically by the specialist Xavier Mathiot, it is likely that the body has never been repainted and only the right rear wing will need fresh paint. The interior is in original condition, magnificently preserved and with a superb patina.. The carpets may perhaps need to be replaced, but the mats and door cards may be kept as they are. The entire dashboard is complete, with its pushbuttons and instruments surrounding the original steering wheel. To return to its mechanical specification, Jean-Paul Tissot, President of the Delahaye Club, has confirmed that the car still has its original engine, a type 5 S 103, i.e. a single-carburettor 135 M unit, which was subsequently fitted with three carburettors, as was often the practice in period to gain extra power.
The partnership between Delahaye and the coachbuilder Dubos began before the Second World War, with the creation of a cabriolet built on a 135 M chassis, which was presented at the 1937 Paris Motor Show. Louis Dubos died in in 1947 and his three sons (Léo, Pierre and Jean) took over the business and committed themselves to producing some sober and elegant cars. Using a Delahaye 135 M chassis, they built a first coach largely inspired by the pre-war designs. Then, at the 1949 Motor Show, they presented two coach models: a white “Gascogne” and a second car which was unique in being a combination of the 1947 and “Gascogne” models. According to the register of “Gascogne” cars, only twelve “Gascogne” coach models have been identified and are known to exist today. Rare, attractive and quick – thanks to its 110bhp six-cylinder engine and its Cotal gearbox, which is a delight to use – this 135 M with its enviable history is the only Dubos-bodied coach in strictly original condition.
1972 – Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Competizione #14065
The 1960s and ‘70s saw a succession of some of the fastest and best-looking Ferraris destined for competition. In the second half of the 1960s, the war between Ford and Ferrari raged on, not forgetting Porsche, which notched up a succession of class wins with its 911 and overall victories with its formidable 917. During this period, and until the early 1970s, Ferrari remained competitive in the top categories of motorsport, with its 512 S/M and then the 312 P, but in the GT category, the Scuderia was a long way from the podium in the major events in the championship, with its 275 GTB lacking in performance and a successor still some way off …
It was in this context that the 365 GTB/4 Competizione finally made its appearance, developed on the basis of a standard, roadgoing model. Built by Ferrari at Modena, the first cars to be raced by customers all had aluminium bodywork and were destined for private or semi-official teams, notably Luigi Chinetti’s North American Racing Team. The results were soon to be seen, with 4th place on the 1972 Tour de France, 5th place overall at the 1972 Le Mans 24 Hours race and two class wins at Le Mans in 1972 and 1973. It was at this point that two other series of five 365 GTB/4 Competizione, with mainly steel bodywork, left the workshops in Modena, taking the total number of cars officially built by the factory to 15, without counting chassis no. 12547 and 13715. During the same period, a series of eight other 365 GTB/4 were converted by private customers such as the Ecurie Francorchamps and, once again, the North American Racing Team.
The example we are presenting on our stand is one of these. It is one of the 25 cars built in period for the world championship for manufacturers. Chassis no. 14065 was developed for the American team principal Kirk F. White, who was keen to enter the 12 Hours of Sebring in 1972. It should be recalled that White had made his mark the previous year with his Sunoco Ferrari 512 M, prepared in partnership with Roger Penske and Traco Engineering. In 1972 therefore, White converted this Daytona to the then current Group IV specifications, naturally involving Traco Engineering, as well as Holman & Moody, who were renowned for their work preparing the Fords entered in NASCAR racing and at Le Mans. The heart of any racing car is, of course, its engine, and it is precisely in this respect that chassis no. 14065 stands out from all the others … Traco Engineering was entrusted with the preparation of two Daytona engines in 1972. That used in chassis no. 14065, but also that for no. 14271, also known as the “Blue Cannonball”, which won the first Cannonball Run in 1971, driven by Dan Gurney, and which was also owned by Kirk White. Shortly before the 12 Hours of Sebring, the engines of the two Daytonas were swapped over. Until recently, it was not known why this swap was made, but a source close to White has explained that Traco Engineering simply considered that the engine from chassis no. 14271 was stronger and delivered better performance. It is for sale today with its original engine and a second, entirely reconditioned engine, which has been authenticated by Ferrari Classiche.
When it arrived at Sebring, the Kirk White Motor Racing Daytona was presented in its current livery. It qualified in pole position in its class, proving much faster than the two new NART Daytonas converted by the parent company in Italy. After a good start to the race, White’s Daytona finally gave in on the 53rd lap, due to a faulty transmission. White then sold the car to Ron Spangler, its first owner, who let it enjoy it a quiet retirement in the United States until it was selected for the Ferrari Shell Historic Challenge in 1996, the year in which it moved to a prestigious collection in Japan. In 2010, when it returned to the USA, chassis no. 14065 received its Ferrari Classiche certification and then took part in the Cavallino Classic for four years in a row. The engine was completely overhauled by DK Engineering in 2018 and runs perfectly. This particular car, probably the most competitive of the 25 Group IV cars built, will open the doors for you of the most important historic motorsport events in Europe and the United States. Recognised by the factory as one of the 25 Group IV cars built in period, it is offered for sale by Aguttes.
1950 – Fiat 1100 ES Coupé Pinin Farina #500435
Immediately after the Second World War, Fiat found itself in a complicated position financially. Thanks to the help provided by the Marshall Plan, the factories which had been destroyed during the war were rebuilt and the Turin-based manufacturer returned to a level of production comparable to the 1930s. New models were then introduced, among them the Fiat 1100, several versions of which were offered, including the rare ES variant, designed by Pinin Farina: this stood out for its wider radiator grille and was the basis for the development of the Simca 8 Sport.
Today, it is thought that only a dozen examples of the Fiat 1100 ES remain throughout the world. The model presented on our stand has a particularly remarkable history. After leaving Pinin Farina’s workshops in 1950, it arrived in Morocco in 1951 via the Casablanca-based importer Afric Auto. Only then was it registered for the first time, never having had Italian plates beforehand. Its first owner, however, was very much an Italian, one Noé Cecchetti. He went on to enter the little Fiat in the 6th Morocco Rally in May 1952 with his co-driver, Louis Ferry. They brought the car over the finish line in 14th place, while a certain Trintignant was forced to retire with his powerful Talbot T26GS. Sold to its second owner, Albert Mannarino, the Fiat 1100 ES Coupé Pinin Farina chassis number 500435 was never again entered in competition, but stayed in Morocco. Its current owner then acquired the car in the mid-1980s and carried out a first restoration some fifteen years later, in strict accordance with the original specification.
Once the restoration was finished, the Fiat took its place among the twenty or so other cars making up this unusual Moroccan collection. In 2017, the current owner was invited to display his Fiat at the 5th edition of the Gentleman Drivers Awards, a concours d’élégance organised in Marrakesh. On this occasion, it won its class in front of Paolo Pininfarina. For the first time in France, we will have the honour of presenting this Fiat 1100 ES Coupé Pinin Farina on our stand, before it is sold at auction in Paris on 15 March.
1991 – Jordan 191 7up F1 Team #191-6
Familiar with motorsport ever since he established his own F3 team in 1979, Eddie Jordan really joined the big league in 1990, when he planned to enter two F1 cars for the 1991 season, with only his own funding, equivalent to 6 million euros. Unthinkable today … No matter. “If the car looks good, the sponsors will fight for a place on it”, he said. Designed by Gary Anderson, the Jordan 191 was soon recognised as one of, if not the, best-looking F1 cars of its time. It received moreover the honorary title of “The most beautiful racing car” of the 1991 season, awarded by the British magazine Autosport. With his sponsors on board and a budget of just 8 million euros, Jordan began the 1991 season with the experienced Italian driver Andrea De Cesaris and the promising newcomer Bertrand Gachot. And indeed, it was the French driver who got off to the best start of the season, finishing 10th and then 13th at the US and Brazilian Grands Prix.
Altogether, seven chassis were built, but according to the Formula One Register, only three of these escaped accident damage during the 1991 season. Chassis no. 6, which will be present on Aguttes on Wheels’ stand during Rétromobile, is one of them. Built during the summer of 1991, chassis 191-6 took part in its first Grand Prix in Hungary, again according to the Formula One Register, with the racing number 33 assigned to De Cesaris. He finished 7th, behind the top drivers in the championship such as Senna, Mansell and Berger. The Jordan 191-6 then competed in the Belgian Grand Prix alongside a gifted new driver, one Michael Schumacher, who was at the time starting out in the top category of motorsport. Climbing up to second place overall, De Cesaris drove his F1 hard, but eventually finished 13th in the Belgian race, due to a technical fault. The Jordan carried on through to the end of the season and was mainly used in free practice sessions to fine-tune the settings before each race.
Later, chassis 191-6 joined the collection of the legendary Belgian racing driver Jean Blaton, also known as Beurlys, and was sold in 2005 along with the rest of his cars. In its current ownership for more than 10 years, the single-seater took to the track again in 2011 in the Boss GP series and also took part in the Goodwood Festival of Speed on two occasions, in 2012 and 2014. Aguttes will have the honour of offering for sale what remains to this day one of the best-looking F1 cars of the past 30 years.
Sunday 15 March in Paris
Held for the second time in Paris, our Spring Sale will take place on 15 March 2020 at the Espace Champerret in the 17th arrondissement. The catalogue is now in preparation, but it is still possible to consign your classic car. To do so, please do not hesitate to drop by our stand at Rétromobile or contact us by phone or email.