1955 - SALMSON 2300S CABRIOLET CHAPRON

Lot 194
150 000 - 250 000 €
Résultats avec frais
Résultat : 175 000 €

1955 - SALMSON 2300S CABRIOLET CHAPRON

Voiture française historique produite à 5 exemplaires
Etat et fonctionnement irréprochables
Eligible dans toutes les plus belles manifestations
Historic French car of which only 5 were built
Irreproachable condition and functioning
Eligible for all the most prestigious events
Carte grise française
Châssis: 85188
Moteur/Engine: 4 cylindres en ligne double arbre à came en tête
Cylindrée/Capacity: 2328 cc - 105 ch
Présentée au Salon de Paris 1953, alors installé sous la nef du Grand Palais, la Salmson 2300 S incarne le renouveau de la marque. Jacques Bernard, le nouveau directeur de la Société des Moteurs Salmson a placé tous les espoirs du constructeur français dans ce nouveau coupé sportif 2+2 qui n'existe plus dans la production nationale de l'époque, pour réussir à sortir la marque de l'ornière financière dans laquelle elle est prise depuis deux ans. Une première série de trente-huit modèles est construite avec la participation du carrossier
Esclassan. Puis Henri Chapron prendra le relai durant l'année 1954 et habillera ensuite tous les autres châssis à l'exception de quelques-uns carrossés par
Motto et par Pichon-Parat. La Salmson 2300S connaîtra également de nombreux succès sportifs en remportant sa classe au Tour de France Automobile, au Monte-Carlo, au Liège-Rome-Liège ou encore au Lyon Charbonnière...
Seuls cinq cabriolets seront réalisés par le célèbre carrossier français Chapron, tous existants et répertoriés à ce jour. L'exemplaire présenté est le troisième fabriqué (châssis n° 85188) et surtout celui qui fut exposé au Salon de Paris en 1955. Comme l'atteste sa fiche d'identité usine, ce rare cabriolet 2300S Chapron de couleur beige ouragan fut livré le 24 mai 1955 à Marco Eilfa, son premier propriétaire, résidant 28 rue Louis Legrand à Paris. Cette voiture lui servira quotidiennement jusqu'en 1976, année de sa vente. Le deuxième propriétaire est bien connu des collectionneurs de la première heure puisqu'il s'agit de Modeste Tréhin, surnommé ‘' l'homme aux Hispano''. Désireux d'entreprendre la restauration du cabriolet à la fin des années 1990 pour lui redonner son lustre d'antan, il finira par la vendre à l'un de ses amis, ‘'Salmsoniste'' de père en fils, dans la région de Marseille. La voiture est alors intégralement restaurée dans les règles de l'art en 2001. Son actuel propriétaire, également connu dans le milieu des collectionneurs, a parcouru de nombreux kilomètres à son volant, allant jusqu'en Azerbaïdjan et en Serbie lors du Rallye des Portes de l'Orient en octobre 2008. Très récemment, l'embrayage et les freins ont été refaits. La boite et le moteur ont été contrôlés et la superbe capote en alpaga remplacée il y a quelques années. L'intérieur est également superbe, habillé d'une sellerie verte de grande qualité et joliment patinée. Son tableau de bord rappelle également que nous sommes en présence d'un modèle de sport avec un compte tours gradué jusqu'à 8000 tr/mn. Les belles jantes de 16 pouces ont été refaites intégralement chez Borrani et remplacent merveilleusement bien les fragiles Robergel d'origine. La voiture est accompagnée d'un dossier de factures de 60 000 euros.
Nous avons eu la chance de parcourir près de 100 km à son volant dans la circulation et d'en apprécier le parfait comportement. La boite Cotal semi-automatique électromagnétique type MK25 à quatre rapports (+ une marche arrière) est un bonheur d'utilisation par sa simplicité et son parfait fonctionnement.
Les freins sont eux surprenants d'efficacité. Son 4 cylindres en alliage léger double arbre à cames en tête, le premier français du genre, alimenté par un carburateur double corps développe 105 chevaux et permettait d'atteindre les 180 km/h. Il fait honneur à son glorieux passé en compétition (il s'agit du moteur qui équipait la barquette Salmson Motto engagée aux 24 Heures du
Mans en 1955). Il offre du couple à bas régime avec une belle allonge et des reprises franches.
Construit à seulement cinq exemplaires, ce cabriolet quatre places dont les lignes sobres et élégantes sont le fruit du talent d'Henri Chapron, l'un des maîtres carrossiers français, présente une histoire limpide et les caractéristiques chères aux modèles prisés par les plus grands collectionneurs. Plus exclusif et rarissime que ses concurrentes de l'époque, les Jaguar XK 120 et Alfa Romeo 2500, ce rarissime Cabriolet Salmson a incontestablement sa place dans les concours les plus prestigieux et les plus belles collections.
Presented in 1953 at the fortieth Salon de l'Automobile in Paris under the immense glass roof of the Grand Palais, the 2300 S embodied the modernization and revitalization of the Salmson marque. Jacques Bernard, the new director of the Société des Moteurs Salmson, placed all the hopes of the French car maker on this new 2+2 sports coupé, a category no longer offered by any French manufacturer, to succeed in extricating the company from the financial difficulties with which it had been struggling for the previous two years. A first series of thirty-eight cars was built with the participation of the coachbuilder Esclassan. Then another coachbuilder,
Henri Chapron, took over throughout 1954 and then bodied all the other chassis, except for a few bodied by Motto and by Pichon-Parat. The Salmson 2300S achieved numerous sporting successes, winning its class in the most prestigious competition events such as the the French Tour de France Automobile and the
Monte-Carlo Rally and others, including the Lyon-Charbonnières, Alpine Cup and the Liège-Rome-Liège.
Only five convertibles would be built by Chapron and all of them have survived and their present whereabouts are known. The car on offer is the third built (chassis n° 85188) and, above all, the one which was exhibited at the Salon de Paris in 1955.
As is attested by the factory identity document, this rare Chapron-built Salmson 2300S convertible was delivered on May 24th 1955 in «beige ouragan» to her first owner, who lived at 28 rue Louis Legrand in Paris. He used the car daily until he sold it in 1976. The second owner was a well-known figure to an earlier generation of old car enthusiasts, as he was Modeste Tréhin, nicknamed “the man with the Hispanos”. In the late nineties, he wanted to have the Salmson restored to its former glory, but he ended up by selling it to one of his friends who lived near
Marseille and was a member of a family in which Salmson-worship was hereditory!
In 2001, the car underwent a total and faithful restoration of the highest quality.
The current owner, also well-known to classic car enthusiasts, has driven the car over considerable distances, including going to Azerbaïdjan and Serbia in October 2008 in the course of the Rallye des Portes de l'Orient. Just recently the clutch and the brakes have been renovated. A few years ago the engine and gearbox were thoroughly checked over and the superb alpaga hood was replaced. The interior is excellent, with the high quality upholstery of green leather having acquired a nice patina. The instruments remind us that this is a sporting machine, as the revcounter is graduated up to 8000 revs. The handsome 16 inch wire wheels have been restored by Borrani and are an advantageous replacement for the fragile
Robergel wheels originally fitted. The file of invoices accompanying the car shows work costing 60 000 euros.
We have been fortunate enough to drive this car for nearly 100 km in normal traffic and we have appreciated its behaviour. The Cotal electromagnetic 4-speed (+ reverse) type MK25 preselector gearbox is a joy, being simple to use and functioning perfectly, and the brakes are astoundingly efficient. The light alloy 4 cylinder engine with twin overhead camshafts, the first of its kind in French production, fed by a twin throated carburettor, produces 105 hp, allowing a top speed of 180 kph.
It does honour to its glorious past in competition (the same engine powered the
Salmson Motto sports-racer which competed in the ill-fated Le Mans 24 Hours in 1955). It has ample torque at lows revs, a good rev range and vigorous acceleration.
This 4-seater convertible, whose restrained and elegant lines bear witness to the talent of Henri Chapron, one of the greatest French coachbuilders of the golden age, has a clear and unbroken history and possesses attributes much admired by leading connoisseurs of models of that period. As only five convertibles were built and less than 250 of the 2300S fixed-head coupé were produced, this car is infinitely more rare and exclusive than its compemporary rivals such as the Jaguar
XK 120 and Alfa Romeo 2500. It can incontestably claim its right to enter the most prestigious concours and the top collections.
This complete restoration has been carried out with scrupulous respect for the original specifications and using a large number of factory parts. The numerous stickers and the serial numbers on body parts are all present. As well as having a voluminous restoration file, this car comes with its sales brochure, original owner's handbook, full set of tools and jack.
The present owner, who was 24 when he bought the car, has kept it for 25 years.
Now a car designer, he had been enchanted by the astonishing design by Marcello
Gandini, at that time the chief designer at Bertone. He has not driven this Lamborghini very much (it has now covered a little over 73 000 km) but he has always run the engine very regularly.
The Espada was the fastest four-seater car in the world when it was launched and its comfort and efficiency are still impressive today, as a road test enabled us to see for ourselves. The V12 engine soars willingly to high revs, the gearbox is a joy to use and, contrary to expectations, the car seems to be light and nimble, despite its considerable bulk. With its powerful brakes, precise steering and efficient suspension, this is a sound and safe vehicle. The great care lavished on it by its two successive owners makes this a particularly desirable prospect.
Mes ordres d'achat
Informations sur la vente
Conditions de ventes
Retourner au catalogue